According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), one in four persons in the U.S, in 2012, were living with a mental illness. It is a problem of massive proportions with around 61.5 million adults afflicted with mental illness per year.
The statistics brings forth the importance of programs of treatment including residential treatment in mental health rehabilitation center. But in case of majority of people, recognizing a mental illness and finding the right way to treat is a path full of confusion.
SAMHSA defines mental illness as a condition of health which severely impairs the behavior, mood, and thinking of a person or/ and his or her ability to interact, cope and function with others.
Types: Most common kinds of mental ailments are:
- Anxiety disorders (OCD, PTSD, ADD, GAD, etc.)
- Mood disorders like Depression and Bipolar disease
- Eating disorders like Bulimia and Anorexia
Common Symptoms: warning signs to seek help are:
- Changes in sleeping/ eating habits
- Substance abuse
- Low energy levels
- Feeling low or in despair and sadness
- Excessive anxiety, worry or fears
- Lack of ability to perform routine, daily tasks
- Confused thinking
- Physical ailments with no explanation
- Extreme mood swings
- Thoughts of suicide and death
- Strong angry feelings
- Delusions and hallucinations
- Social withdrawal
- Denying any problem
Getting Help:Numerous resources abound for persons struggling with a mental disorder or those who know someone with the condition. But many do not seek help for fear of stigma. Mentalhealth problems are treated through several treatment programs which are in-patient, out-patient or a combination of both. The kind of treatment decided for an individual is based on:
- Care level needed for long term recovery
- History of the illness in a person.
The right treatment modality is determined by individual in conjunction with his/ her medical team.
It is a mode of treatment in which one does not need stay in treatment facility or hospital. For this, individual seeks treatment for some time in the day but returns home to helm normal life.
In-Patient/ Residential Treatments:
The settings for residential treatment differ such as campus based in wilderness or peaceful setting, psychiatric hospitals, half way homes, group homes and boarding schools.
Mental health residential treatment is suitable for people:
- Whose out-patient treatment was a failure
- Who need rigorous treatment after in-patient care?
- Residential care centers offer:
- Comprehensive diagnosis
- Secure and safe surroundings where one can focus on recovery
- A multi-disciplinary, on site medical team offering individualized attention
- Evidence based treatment concentrating on inter-disciplinary and integrated care.
- Emotional support from therapeutic community
- Training to re-build life
Types of Residential Care:
- Intensive treatment for adults and adolescents in short term
- Acute crisis center
- Programs for mental health of women
- Specialty programs
- Wellness programs
- Behavioral management
- Psycho-educational groups
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Dialectical behavioral therapy
- Partial hospitalization
- Electroconvulsive therapy
- Group therapy
- Music and art therapy
- Peer-cultural activities
- Family education
- Supported programs for employment
These are some aspects of mental health problems and their treatment.