Rapid prototyping is a process that involves the efficient working of various techniques in order to create a full-scale model. Sophisticated CAD software and three-dimensional printer have a great role in it. Rapid prototyping not only provides a three-dimensional view of a digitally created product but also are useful in testing the efficiency of that product or a part of it. By analyzing these efficiency tests, people give large orders for the manufacturing of the product. These tests primarily relate to the shape and size of the product rather than its durability. This is because the prototype is not of the same material as used in the final product.
How Rapid prototyping works
All the rapid prototyping process follow the same methodology irrespective of the product. The process includes:
- Manufacturers create a computer-aided design model of the product. They later convert the model into STL format. Manufacturers have an option of setting the resolution in order to minimize the stair stepping.
- The rapid prototyping machine then converts the .STL file into the sliced layer. The STL file created in the previous step is the one that the rapid prototyping machine processes.
- Next, the creation of the physical model begins. Manufacturers make the first layer then lower the thickness of the model and create the next layer. This process continues until the creation of the final product.
- Finally, the manufacturers polish and clean the model created in the previous step and complete the prototype.
Various countries adopted the process of rapid prototyping in order to enhance their production methods. When it comes to rapid prototyping china has one of the best manufacturers that follow these methods efficiently.
Reasons to perform rapid prototyping
- It generates new better opportunity for innovating new products. This eliminates the restrictions that conventional prototyping brings to the manufacturing process. It is easier for designers to create complex models and their surfaces with the rapid prototyping processes.
- The techniques of rapid prototyping reduce the time taken between the initial prototype and its analysis. These techniques are completely automatic; hence, the designer can modify the product as quickly as possible according to the requirement of the client. This speedy manufacturing process helps organizations to launch new products in the market quickly.
- The methods of rapid prototyping greatly reduce the cost of production. As there is no requirement for building special tools for every product, manufacturing companies save a lot of money in the production processes. Moreover, the rapid prototyping process does not add modeling material unless required. This saves the expenditure on the material as well.
- The rapid prototyping methods provide a better view of the product by designing a three-dimensional model of the product. This helps the designers to explain the working concepts of the product to the clients or board members easily and get their immediate approval for starting the final manufacturing process.
The rapid prototyping process not only helps companies save lots of money but they also give a clear idea of the product to the client. The process allows great refining of the product by creating great initial prototypes.