An ovarian cyst is a sac-like structure filled with fluid or semi-solid substance within the ovary. The size of ovarian cyst may vary from the size of a pea to the size of a tangerine. The ovarian cysts that occur during the reproductive years of most women are generally small and harmless. In most cases, the presence of cysts is not known until the time it is accompanied by bleeding or pain. If the size of the ovarian cyst is more than five centimetres, surgery may be required for the removal of the cyst. The doctor may advise for various affordable surgery packages for the removal of the ovarian cysts.
The ovarian cysts are mostly asymptomatic. However, following are some of the symptoms that may indicate the presence of ovarian cysts:
- Irregular periods – Periods may become heavier or scantier. The pain may also be aggravated.
- Pelvic pain – Persistent pain in the pelvic region that spreads to the thighs and the lower back. This may happen before or after menstruation.
- Urinary problems – The urge to pass urine frequently or problems in emptying the bladder completely can also be felt.
- Abdominal problems – There may be heaviness, bloating or swelling in the abdominal region.
- Bowel problems – There may be problems in passing bowels or intense pressure while passing the bowel.
- Hormonal problems – There may be a hormonal imbalance in the body resulting in abnormal acne bout or hair growth.
Though the above-mentioned symptoms may indicate the presence of ovarian cysts, it need not necessarily mean that any woman with these symptoms has ovarian cysts. These symptoms can be associated with various other diseases like pelvic inflammatory disease, endometriosis, ectopic pregnancy or even pelvic cancer.
In women, ovarian cyst may develop anytime from puberty to menopause. There are different kinds of cysts that develop because of different reasons. Following are some of the causes that result in ovarian cysts:
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Corpus luteum cysts
- Follicular cysts
- Chocolate cysts
- Dermoid cysts
- Tubo-ovarian abscesses
All these above-mentioned conditions may lead to ovarian cysts. The ovarian cyst surgery may be prescribed by the doctor. One may determine the cyst removal surgery cost and plan for the surgery accordingly.
The doctor may diagnose the kind of cysts based on the symptoms and other medical procedures like ultrasound scan. The treatment for the cyst will depend on the size and type of the cyst. The doctor may recommend surgical removal of the cyst if the cyst is large, growing in size or not a functional cyst. If one is planning to get a surgical procedure in Mumbai then there are many options for an ovarian cyst removal surgery in Mumbai. Following are the types of surgical procedures that may be recommended by the doctor:
- Laparoscopy: This surgical procedure involves making a small incision to remove the cyst. This surgery does not affect the fertility of the woman.
- Laparotomy: This is a complex surgical procedure and it is recommended in cases where the cysts are cancerous. A bigger incision is made for the removal of the cyst. The patient may be required to stay for a few days in the hospital.
In case if the cyst is cancerous and the infection reaches other organs or tissues, the doctor may remove the infected organs or tissues.